Monday, May 7, 2012

My Bloody Valentine 2012 Loveless remaster - errors?

[posting from my iPhone]

The legendary 2xCD of the legendary shoegaze masterpiece Loveless came out today and has also been available elsewhere for a few days.

One disc is remastered from the original DAT digital master - that used for the 1991 original release - and the other disc is mastered from the original half-inch analog tape master. Arcane, yes, but to me the differences are significant and wonderful (the new analog version is definitive).

 I will post the proof when I get to my machine, but Sony took 4 years to fuck this up. The new release has the discs swapped: disc one is supposed to be the digital remaster, and disc two from analog. They are labeled as so too. Except, a blatant manufacturing error - on all copies I've been made aware of - has the wrong labels on the discs. The new release has #1 labeled digital but with the analog master. #2 is labeled analog but has the digital master.

 How could they fuck this up??

 Details, and more proof than anyone will need, later when I get home.

update: New post with details, and pictures too!

4 comments:

  1. That sucks. Wonder if they'll recall it like those heavily flawed New Order remasters.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I sent this article to Pitchfork and they linked to it in their review of the album today. They think you're trying too hard.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I sent this article to Pitchfork and they linked to it in their review of the album today. They think you're trying too hard.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I sent this article to Pitchfork and they linked to it in their review of the album today. They think you're trying too hard.

    ReplyDelete